Thursday 16 February 2012

Slangments

Slang refers to informal vocabulary developed and used by particular groups in society. It is casual and sometimes playful language that is deliberately used in place of standard terms. It bonds those in an inner circle who use the same words, but excludes others who don't share the terminology.
I believe that slang used is based on one's culture. I believe the REASON slang is used is in an attempt to fit in with one's society. In my everyday conversations, I tend to use the slang based on my culture in Tobago, because I think one way one can fully express their self is by using a means that they're most comfortable with.  Although slang is not standard English, I see no problem with using it daily, as long as it is in the proper context. I see no problem especially if one is comfortable using it. 
However, I also believe that there's a time and place for everything and the place and to whom I am speaking may have an impact as to whether or not I use slang. Therefore, I think that I am using the slang appropriately since I understand that there are limitations and certain conversations that may need me to speak standard English. In other words, there is a time and place for everything under the sun, and I know when,where and how to use slang.

No comments:

Post a Comment