Thursday 16 February 2012

Do I?

From experience, I believe I am able to express myself well when I am communicating verbally. Although I may prefer writing or drawing as a means of communicating the way I feel, when I communicate verbally, I do a PRETTY darn good job at it, if I do say so myself. I do like communicating verbally though. It allows me to express myself fully.


 I believe that there is clarity in the way I communicate. In my speech! However, I think that the level of clarity can be improved at times. I'm not always able to bring across my point of view in the best of ways. Sometimes the words are there, but they just wont roll off the tongue. We can accomplish clarity in our speech when we use specific words(words that clarify meaning by narrowing what is understood from a general category in a particular item or group within that category). By using concrete (words that appeal to the senses) and precise (words that narrow a larger category) words, we are closer to clarity. The use of literary devices also adds flair to your speech and may improve your clarity. When we are clear in our speech, we can then be sensitive in the way we use our language.


One demonstrates linguistic sensitivity when they choose a language that respects others and avoids usages that others perceive as offensive because they are sexist, racist or otherwise biased. There is generic language which is using words that may apply only to one sex, race, or other group as though they represent everyone. I try not to do this because we tend to generalize everyone as male which to feminists feeds the flame to the fact that we live in a chauvinistic world. Then there is non parallel language which are terms changed because of the sex, race or other characteristic of the individual. I believe you practice linguistic sensitivity when you filter your words. You make sure what you say isn't offensive. That's basically it. It ain't rocket science!

No comments:

Post a Comment