Thursday 12 April 2012

Crohn the Horrible Monster

Well this is another blog about Crohn's disease. I introduce you once again to my brother...Joel, and he has Crohn's disease.
The exact cause of Crohn's disease is unknown. It is an autoimmune disorder. An autoimmune disorder is a condition that occurs when your body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue.
People with Crohn's disease have ongoing (chronic) inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract (GI tract). Crohn's disease may involve the small intestine, the large intestine, the rectum, or the mouth. The inflammation causes the intestinal wall to become thick.
There are different types of Crohn's disease. The type depends on what part of your body is affected.
The following seem to play a role in Crohn's disease:
  • Your genes
  • Environmental factors
  • The body over-reacts to normal bacteria in the intestines
Crohn's disease may occur at any age. It usually occurs in people between ages 15 - 35. Joel got his when he was 16 and I sometimes fear that because I am 16 and we've both been exposed to the same environment that I'll get it. It is a disease that is incurable and it rears its ugly head at random times.
He's having a flare-up at the moment, what with the stresses of exam and all I am asking is that you pray for him. I am worried sick, as he's my brother but also my dearest friends. God be with him!

Thanks in advance
JoReRi
If you want more info on Crohn's disease feel free to look it up at:

No comments:

Post a Comment